Saturday, December 17, 2011

One Day At A Time

I'm almost two weeks post surgery and I'm already getting antsy to get out of the sling. I have at least another 5 weeks to go in it. It definitely does offer me a degree of comfort and protection though. I feel vulnerable without it, but at the same time smothered by it. Last night while I was laying on the couch drifting off to sleep, I kept wanting to roll on my left side and put my hand under the pillow. My mind forgot that I couldn't so the sling did it's job in not allowing me to.

On the brighter side, I'm getting pretty good at typing with one hand. On the other hand, my Photoshop dexterity has been cramped since so much of it is a two handed operation. The thing I miss most right now though is driving my car. It's a six speed manual transmission so until I can grasp the wheel with my left hand it's staying put. I can shift and then grab the wheel again, but with winter conditions approaching and my car's high amount of torque steer under acceleration I'm better off letting my wife drive me around like Miss Daisy.

I passed my first reaction test the other day. While opening the medicine cabinet in the bathroom, my deodorant and several other objects came tumbling out at me. Normally I would be flailing my arms in every direction, snagging things out of the air like a praying mantis. Instead, I let the things fall to the ground, pieces bouncing and flying everywhere. I smirked at my success of having passed the test. Then one more thing fell out as if mocking my success and wouldn't you know it, I flinched sending a shockwave through my shoulder. "How rude!", I thought.

I went to the ice rink today to watch my daughter's hockey game vs Skaneateles. I never realized how many people greet me by grabbing my left shoulder. I also had to take evasive action to avoid being run over by a pack of little hockey players making a mad dash to the snack counter for their post game Slushies. It's a dangerous world out there I tell ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment